Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Week 1: Hello from the MTC :)

Family and Friends-
So I was going to try really hard to type in Korean but then I realized I only have 30 minutes to write, and my Korean typing would require triple the amount of time! But maybe sometime in the future, I will try and type in Korean :P For now, I will stick to English!
Wow. It has been such a great week! Basically every minute of the day is planned so it's hard keeping up but every day has been rewarding! And going to bed at 10:30? I LOVE IT! Mommy, I should have totally listened to you growing up when you told me to go to bed earlier and wake up earlier because it feels sooooo good! Minhee, you should try it sometime ;)
I'm still getting used to alot of things, like when people say, "What is your name?" I have to catch myself from saying "Sonhee" and switch to "Sister Cho!" and when people ask "Where are you going?" I say things like "oh, to the gym." or "to the classroom." but what they mean is where are you going on your mission haha Anyway, everyone here is SO HAPPY! and at first I didn't get really how everyone could be but then it made sense because the Spirit is so strong and one of the fruits of the spirit is LOVE (Gal 5:22) so of course everyone is sweet and super nice! The first half of the day went by really fast; they gave us our name tags and then had us attend an opening orientation where we all sang "Bring the World His Truth" (the MTC changed the words to "We are now the Lord's missionaries" and it was so awesome looking at my name tag and realizing YEP I SURE AM!) and "Called to Serve" and it was so neat to look around the room and see so many missionaries from all around the world all here at the MTC with one purpose: to invite others to come unto Christ!
So let me tell you about classes! I'm in this program called ADL (advanced language) and it means that I'm in a class with missionaries who are good at English but it's their second language so they need to learn a few more gospel related things in English. What's great is that my district (and zone) is so diverse! My companion is Sister Bulouniwasa (easiset way to say it is to think of "bologna" like a bologna sandwich and "wassup" minus the P") and she is from Fiji! She is so amazing; her siblings are inactive and her parents aren't members but she is so strong in the gospel and her testimony is a rock! she knows all the scriptures and references (which i need to work on haha) and she even knows the page numbers of almost all the hymns in the hymn book! She is so great and i love her. I have already learned so much from her :) My district leader is Elder Andrada and he's from the Phillipines (sp? sorry, no time so i'm just going to keep going!) and he's going to serve in Vegas, and his companion is Elder Maiwiriwiri from Fiji going to Vegas too! and we have Elder Cho who is the same "Cho" as us so we're probably related!!! and he's from washington going to Vegas and his companion is Elder Andoh-Kesson from Ghana going to Alabama! Isn't that so neat?! The church is so true because it works all around the world! it brings peace and comfort to everyone and this has totally strengthened my testimony of a loving Heavenly Father who loves and knows each of us :)
Our teacher is Brother Erickson who served in France and Sister Wheeler who served in Czech (sp?) and they are excellent! We have been teaching them as "investigators" and at first it was kinda scary but then i realized it's just like talking to people in normal life pre-mish but now i get to talk about the gospel which makes it even better! so after i realized this, teaching has been SO AWESOME! we even dropped the b-word (baptism) on the second day with one of them!
Daddy, I also went to choir practice here because Ryan said that he went and absolutely loved it too and it was so great! The director is amazing and all the people there are there because they want to be and it makes such a difference in the outcome of the song! we sang this song called precious savior dear redeemer and we talked about how Matt 4 relates to the song and how the Savior cares about each one of us just as He cared for those on the ship when he calmed the seas. Gahh I only have 5 minutes left but basically, daddy you would have loved it! And I'm going to keep going :)
So much more i could tell you about but I just don't have time!
I love the gospel. It is so true. I know i have only been here for 6 days now but everything i have seen, heard, and felt so far has confirmed that this church is true! we have a loving heavenly father who knows us by name. he loves us so much that he has given us the opportunity to become like him by sending us to this earth in family units to gain experience, progress, and change! I KNOW that through reading the Book of Mormon and sincerely praying to God, each of us can gain a personal tesimony of the plan of happiness and come unto christ! I love you all and and keeping you in my prayers!
-Sister Sonhee Cho

No comments:

Post a Comment